My community had a big emergency preparedness night, and the Volcano people came out to show us their stove, demo recipes, and sell us stuff for cheap. So I bought a Volcano stove. Fast forward two years. I bought me a shiny, new dutch oven, so I finally cut the tape on my Volcano Stove box (after two years of telling everyone how cool it is), so I could use it to cook with my dutch oven. I have to say, it’s everything they said it was!
Why I love it:
- Great for dutch oven cooking
- Great for grilling
- The outer part of the stove stays cool during cooking…cook on your (outdoor) tabletop!
- It collapses for easy storage
- Great for camping
- Perfect for an emergency situation…use charcoal or wood as your fuel (I don’t have the propane attachment, but that’s an option too)
- Use it to boil water (or cook) in an emergency
We even took our Volcano stove to Bear Lake and grilled on the porch. Really, does it get any better? Grilling with that view…fantastic!
I’m still figuring out how to use it, but here’s what I’ve come up with so far:
- For Grilling: use 25-30 briquettes
- To Bake in a Dutch Oven (350): use 7 on bottom, 14 on top
To clean it just let it cool, dump the ash, and wipe with a paper towel. Store it horizontally in the case it came with. So easy!