A day or two later, out of nowhere, COOKIE butter popped into my head! Perfect. So I tried Cookie Butter Muddy Buddies with a little pumpkin spice and extra chocolate thrown in, and life was suddenly a little sweeter. I haven’t made peanut butter muddy buddies with the pumpkin spice, but in my brain it’s amazing, so try that if you don’t have cookie butter!
Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Muddy Buddies
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup cookie butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 9 cups Chex cereal (I used corn, but rice is great too)
- 1 1/2 cups box brownie mix
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Add chocolate chips, cookie butter and butter to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute and stir. Heat for another 30 seconds, if necessary, until mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Place cereal in a large bowl. Pour the chocolate mixture evenly over the cereal, gently stirring until evenly coated.
- Combine the brownie mix and pumpkin pie spice, set aside. Divide in half.
- Add half of the cereal mixture to a gallon-size zip top plastic bag. Add the spiced brownie mix and shake until well coated. Spread on a silicone mate to cool (parchment or wax paper work as well).
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge.
- I prefer the Trader Joe’s cookie butter to the Lotus cookie butter. They are very similar and either will work great, but TJ’s just tastes better to me. And it’s cheaper (at least where I live). Winning!
- I happened to have some leftover brownie mix from another recipe I was working on, so I used that instead of powdered sugar. It’s good both ways…we’ve tried!
- If you have a 2-gallon size bag, you can coat the cereal all at once. I never have that size on-hand, so I always just divide in half and repeat.